By John Wawrow The Associated Press Stephen Whyno Thu., May 2, 2019 More than 200 of the top female hockey players in the world have decided they will not play professionally in North America next season, hoping their stand leads to a single economically sustainable league. The announcement Thursday comes after the Canadian Women’s Hockey League abruptly shut down as of Wednesday, leaving the five-team, U.S.-based National Women’s Hockey League as the only pro league in North America. But players say the NWHL’s salaries and business model don’t make it a viable option. The group of players, led by American stars Hilary Knight and Kendall Coyne Schofield and Canadian goaltender Shannon Szabados, hopes their move eventually pushes the NHL to start its own women’s hockey league as the NBA did with the WNBA. NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman has said the league would not choose sides or get involved unless there was a void to fill. In a statement, players say they “cannot make a sustainable living playing in the current state of the professional game” with no health insurance and salaries as low as $2,000 a season. Article Continued Below Report an error Journalistic Standards About The Star Read more… Read full this story
- India Women's Team Announced For ODI Series Against England
- Bottom-feeding asshole removes women in Star Wars recut
- Why Do Men Buy Amazon Wishlist Gifts for Their Favorite Porn Stars?
- Inside the notorious women's prison where The Block star Suzi Taylor is locked up alongside some of Australia's most violent criminals - after allegedly 'honey trapping' her Tinder date
- Hockey Players Can Never Find Pants Because Their Butts Are Too Big
- ICC Women's World T20 Semi-Final: India Meet Daunting Foes In England
- Anti-NRA boycott turns to tech giants Apple and Amazon over NRA TV app
- India vs England Women's World T20 Semi-Final: When And Where To Watch Live Telecast, Live Streaming
- Widening gulf in women's game exposed by England's Ashes thrashing
- Why youth hockey program in Rolling Meadows now has cheerleaders
Women’s hockey stars announce boycott in demand for one league have 341 words, post on www.thestar.com at May 2, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.