At last… an order that should have been given three years ago was issued last week. President Duterte has signed Administrative Order 18 calling for an end to tax perks for ecozones in Metro Manila. With the administrative order, Peza can “no longer accept, process or evaluate the establishment of ecozones in Metro Manila immediately.” By this order, the President has taken an important step towards not only encouraging the faster development of ecozones in other less developed regions but also in decongesting Metro Manila. I remember the meeting I had with DOTr Secretary Art Tugade after the 2016 elections after he was given the almost impossible task of untangling Metro Manila traffic. The group included former DPWH and DOTC Secretary Ping de Jesus and MAP transport issues head Eddie Yap. The consensus was Metro Manila was too congested and any proposed solution to alleviate its transport woes will be at best, palliatives. We need to discourage more people from the provinces migrating to Metro Manila. But the jobs are in Metro Manila. We need to create growth centers that provide jobs in the regions. This was why Sec Tugade decided to show the example by moving his department’s head… Read full this story
- Philippines: Some Fear Martial Law as Duterte Orders ‘Total Lockdown’ Around Manila
- Philippine president imposes travel limits, quarantines
- Philippines records 230 COVID-19 cases, imposes travel ban on foreigners
- Number of COVID-19 cases in Philippines rises to 462
- Confusion, concern as locked-down Philippines starts coronavirus quarantine
- Philippine president to impose new quarantine measures across Luzon
- Philippines impose home quarantine 'to save ourselves from ourselves'
- Duterte puts Philippines under quarantine, says 'we are in the fight of our lives'
- Philippines to shut down all airports in Luzon starting Friday to curb COVID-19 spread
- Social distancing around the world: South Korean pastors, shoppers queuing on measured tape in the Philippines and Angela Merkel briefing the press... how coronavirus is changing how we lead our lives
Decongesting Metro Manila have 327 words, post on www.philstar.com at June 26, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.