Godzilla: King Of The Monsters may be king of the US box office, but it only managed a meek roar.
The monster sequel brought in US$49 million (S$67 million) when it debuted in the US last Friday, a disappointing start given its US$200 million price tag.
Godzilla: King Of The Monsters is the third instalment in Legendary’s MonsterVerse, launched well behind its predecessors, 2014’s Godzilla (US$93 million) and 2017’s Kong: Skull Island (US$61 million).
Like those films, the latest tent-pole is expecting to make most of its ticket sales overseas, where the eponymous other-worldly creature is a huge hit.
King Of The Monsters saw a global opening weekend of US$179 million.
Directed by Michael Dougherty, the movie follows the monster who faces off against his nemesis, King Ghidorah, and other ancient mythic creatures who are wreaking havoc on Earth.
- Home/ Culture/ Film&TVChina's box office, for the first time, tops North America
- Box Office Collection Raazi vs Deadpool 2 vs Avengers: Infinity War vs 102 Not Out: Which movie earned what – Revealed here
- Our Way-Too-Early Box Office Prediction for ‘Ant-Man and the Wasp’
- Raazi box office collection: Alia Bhatt s movie mints Rs 30 crore over weekend
- Deadpool 2 India Box office update: Ryan Reynolds starrer collects Rs 33.40 crore in three days
- Our Way-Too-Early ‘Ocean’s 8’ Box Office Prediction
- New Star Wars film Solo faces tough box office test
- Solo: A Star Wars Story 'struggling' at the box office
- 102 Not Out does almost 9 times better than Omerta at the box office
- Prabhas's 'Baahubali 2' witnesses a dip at China Box Office