Lady Gaga delighted crowds in New York Friday with a surprise appearance at a rally marking the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall riots, as the city gears up to welcome millions to its Gay Pride event that will feature concerts from Madonna and Grace Jones. Stonewall Day commemorates the June 1969 riots sparked by repeated police raids on the Stonewall Inn — a well-known gay bar in New York’s Greenwich Village — that proved to be a turning point in the LGBTQ community’s struggle for civil rights. “I really, really hope you celebrate every inch of who you are today,” said the pop superstar, long beloved by the LGBTQ community at the bash in Manhattan’s Greenwich Village that featured rainbow flags, drag queens and performances from stars including Alicia Keys. “You were born this way and you are superstars,” she shouted to applause, referencing the title of her 2011 hit “Born This Way” that has became a gay rights anthem. Up to four million people are expected to attend the city’s Gay Pride for this year’s milestone anniversary, which comes as critics say Donald Trump’s Republican administration has opened the door once again to overt discrimination. “I look at the… Read full this story
- Madonna gives surprise New Year’s Eve performance with her son David Banda in New York
- New York state may legalise cannabis next year
- New York bans discrimination based on hair
- New York sky lights up bright blue after huge power plant explosion
- You can now travel from London to New York for less than £145
- Chef killed in frenzied hammer attack in New York restaurant
- Lady Gaga gets tattoo inspired by A Star Is Born
- Girlfriend urges UK cops to find British tourist who smashed man’s jaw in racist attack in New York
- Was Lady Gaga's Golden Globes necklace recycled from 2011?
- Lady Gaga's Golden Globes jewellery cost £3.92 million
Lady Gaga crashes Stonewall rally in New York have 320 words, post on en.rfi.fr at June 28, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.