GEORGE TOWN: A theme park in Penang is set to introduce the world’s longest water slide this August.
The slide at the Escape Theme Park in Teluk Bahang is still under construction and will measure 1,140m in length with a height of 70m.
When launched, it will overtake the 605m New Jersey water slide created in 2015, currently the Guinness record holder.
Escape Theme Park chief executive officer Sim Choo Kheng said Guinness World Records officials will test the ride before recognising it as the world’s longest.
“Our plan was to build a water slide which would enable visitors to view the whole park and we did not intend to break the world record. Nevertheless I am proud of what we have achieved,” he told reporters on Sunday (Jun 23).
He said the features of the land surfaces were fully utilised and protecting the trees in the surrounding areas was the biggest challenge in the construction process.
“I am overly concerned over the environment here so we tried our best to maintain the greenery by not chopping down the trees. We reckon the slide will be the main attraction when completed,” he added.
From the top of the hill, visitors will slide down and cross Jalan Teluk Bahang before splashing into the theme park’s swimming pool.
- Man throws 8-year-old boy off 31-foot water slide
- These Crows Are Trained to Pick Up Theme Park Trash
- French theme park trains crows to pick up trash
- Belle Isle water slide torn down, makes way for new splash pad
- Son of Kansas state representative killed during 17-story drop on world’s tallest water slide
- Florida teen visiting Wisconsin with his family to see snow for first time dies in water slide accident
- Theme park in Rocklin quarry expected to begin ‘limited operations’ in September
- Parents of Kansas boy killed on world’s tallest water slide blame negligence
- Family of Kansas boy killed on world’s tallest water slide to receive $20 million
- Four people killed after ride malfunction at Australia's largest theme park