A senior North Korean official appeared at an arts performance with the country’s top brass, official media reported Monday, just three days after he was said to have been purged following the collapse of nuclear talks between leader Kim Jong Un and US President Donald Trump. Kim Yong Chol, the North’s counterpart to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in the nuclear negotiations, was sent to a labour camp after the Kim-Trump summit in Hanoi in February, South Korea’s Chosun Ilbo newspaper had reported Friday. The paper had also made worldwide headlines by saying that Kim Hyok Chol, North Korea’s special envoy to the United States, had been executed by firing squad in March, after the two leaders failed to come to a deal over sanctions relief and the North’s nuclear programme. Kim Hyok Chol was Pyongyang’s counterpart to US special representative Stephen Biegun in the run-up to Hanoi, and the Choson Ilbo said he had been put to death for “betraying the Supreme Leader” after he was “won over to the US” during pre-summit negotiations. But the North is difficult to report on as one of the world’s most isolated nations and some previous Southern reports of purges and executions… Read full this story
- Kim Yong-chol: 'Purged' N Korean diplomat appears with Kim
- North Korean Waitresses Who 'Escaped' Say They Were Actually Kidnapped by South
- North Korean leader's uncle executed for 'treachery'
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un Blames South for Mistrust in New Year Speech
- North Korea's Top Men and Women: Meet Kim Jong Un's Sister and Other Aides at Donald Trump Summit in Vietnam
- Who is Kim Jong Un's sister? Kim Yo Jong Is Becoming North Korea's Most Powerful Woman
- U.S. Missile Defense Couldn't Stop North Korea and May Not Even Protect Saudi Arabia From Rebels in Yemen
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un a Better Leader Than Trump? Youngest Head of State Faces Oldest U.S. President
- North Korea execution reports - why we should be cautious
- What is known about North Korea's brutal purge?
Purged no more: North Korean official appears at show have 347 words, post on en.rfi.fr at June 3, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.