President Donald Trump lashed out at The New York Times on Saturday for a report that the United States has been increasing its cyber intrusions into Russia, escalating tensions between the two countries.
The Times reported that the United States has increased measures to penetrate Russia’s power grid as a message to Moscow to stay out of American cyber infrastructure. The efforts lay an aggressive groundwork for an attack on the Russian grid on an unprecedented scale if the two countries were to enter into conflict, the Times reported.
Story Continued Below
The escalation has prompted fears of overheating tensions with Russia, the Times reported. Exactly how deeply the U.S. has penetrated Russian systems remains classified.
Citing administration officials, the Times also reported Trump was not briefed in detail on the program out of fear that he would spill secrets to Russians as he did with classified information to the Russian ambassador and foreign minister during an Oval Office meeting in 2017. That incident, first uncovered by The Washington Post, reportedly put a vital source on ISIS at risk.
Trump flatly rejected the Times’ Saturday story, calling it “a virtual act of Treason by a once great paper so desperate for a story, any story, even if bad for our Country.”
“Anything goes with our Corrupt News Media today. They will do, or say, whatever it takes, with not even the slightest thought of consequence! These are true cowards and without doubt, THE ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!” Trump tweeted.
The Times story follows U.S. intelligence reports of Russian penetration into American cyber infrastructure including of nuclear power plants. Already, the United States has imposed sanctions on Russia for interfering in the 2016 elections through a number of cyber attacks, from misinformation campaigns to hacking the Democratic National Committee’s network.
- Donald Trump Mocks NYT Report On Helping Dad Dodge Taxes: “Old, Boring” News
- US election 2020 latest news: Trump slams Biden after ‘Under God’ removed from the Pledge of Allegiance twice at DNC
- Who is Marc Elias? Trump Slams 'Election Stealing' Lawyer as Florida Governor and Senate Races Face Possible Recounts
- Donald Trump Uses U.N. to Attack China, Which Joins Russia to Bash U.S. Unilateralism
- Russian 'Fancy Bear' unit hit with sanctions by UK over cyber attack on German parliament
- Trump made 'overt attempts to get Russia to meddle in the 2016 election' and admires Putin because he 'had the b***s to take over his country and run it like a personal company', Cohen claims in new book
- Trump slams Harris for doubting vaccine, says she’ll never be president
- Mixed Reactions as Trump Slams Pentagon Chiefs For Reluctance to Pull Out of 'Endless Wars'
- Microsoft confirms Chinese, Iranian, and Russian cyber-attacks on Biden and Trump campaigns
- Trump Slams Jimmy Carter as ‘Terrible President’ who was ‘Trashed by His Own Party’
- Trump slams Cuomo over 'apology tour' as NY governor warns public should be 'skeptical' of COVID vaccine
- Trump slams the shooting ambush of two LA sheriff's at Compton train station as the work of 'Animals that must be hit hard!' - as both officers fight for their lives - and the FBI join the manhunt
- Lawmakers introduce bill to help election officials address cyber vulnerabilities
- The Hill's 12:30 Report - Sponsored by The Air Line Pilots Association -Trump enters debate week after NYT obtains his tax returns
- Russia, China and Iran ramping up attacks ahead of election, Microsoft warns
- US election 2020 latest news: Twitter flags Trump’s tweet telling NC voters to make ‘ballot count’ by ‘voting twice’
- Trump's nomination of an unqualified DNI undermines bipartisan intelligence reform
- How NYT's Trump Tax "Bombshell" Turned Out to be Yet Another Big Nothing Burger
- Bombshell MPs' report accuses Russia of trying to interfere in Scottish referendum, demands probe into whether it tried to rig Brexit vote and says Britain is failing to combat Putin's army of oligarchs, hackers, hitmen and paid British agents
- Russia, China hackers boost election attacks, says Microsoft
Trump slams NYT report on U.S. cyber attacks against Russia have 645 words, post on www.politico.com at June 14, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.