GIBRALTAR: Gibraltar police have arrested the Indian captain and chief officer of a seized Iranian tanker suspected of breaching EU sanctions by shipping oil to Syria, Royal Gibraltar Police said Thursday. “This follows a protracted search of the vessel where documents and electronic devices have been seized and examined,“ police said in a statement. Gibraltar police are interviewing both men, who have “been accorded their legal entitlements and access to consular representation,“ it added. Gibraltar forces and British marines boarded the ship, Grace 1, and seized it on July 4 off the coast of Gibraltar, saying they believed it to be destined for Syria to deliver oil, which is subject to European sanctions. Tests have shown the 330m (1,000 feet) tanker which is capable of carrying two million barrels of oil, was “carrying a full load of crude oil”, the government of Gibraltar said Monday. Iran has condemned the detention as an “illegal interception” and said the tanker was not headed to Syria. The arrests come after London said earlier on Thursday that armed Iranian boats tried to “impede” a UK supertanker in the Gulf before being warned off by a British warship. Iran’s Revolutionary Guards denied involvement but also… Read full this story
- Horror as hardworking mother-of-four, 40, is murdered in her £500,000 home 'while her children slept upstairs' with police arresting man, 44, after 6am 999 call
- French police arrest former National Front candidate in his 80s after he is suspected of shooting two people at a mosque when they surprised him as he tried to burn it down
- Plant Thief? Walnut Creek Police Arrest Woman
- Wilton Police Arrest 'Menopause' Author for Forgery
- Police ARREST runaway bride who is accused of fleeing with the £13,000 her fiancé's mates paid for stag trip to Ibiza
- Da Nang police arrest two Chinese thieves
- ‘Pathetic louts’ deflate tyres and spit at police car as officers helped dying man
- Iran tanker row: Released ship wanted by US 'seen off Syria'
- Barcelona erupts in protest as Spanish police arrest Catalan officials ahead of banned independence vote
- Terror police arrest man as he arrived in UK on coach from France
Gibraltar police arrest captain, officer of detained Iran tanker have 354 words, post on www.thesundaily.my at July 11, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.