In Photos: SONA 2019 red carpet fashion
(Philstar.com) – July 22, 2019 – 3:56pm
MANILA, Philippines — Political statements, current events and Catriona Gray’s Miss Universe “lava gown” — these are among the inspirations behind some of the Filipiniana outfits that celebrities, media personalities and politicians wore at the red carpet on their way to attend the fourth State of the Nation Address (SONA) of President Rodrigo Duterte.
Like in Oscars, Emmys and other Hollywood awarding ceremonies, some attendees made a political battlecry before entering the hall, while others added pins and other “accessories” to their traditional Filipino ensembles, signifying the causes they stand for.
While some wore existing outfits, others commissioned Filipino designers. While others went for solid but eye-popping colors, others nodded to patriotism by incorporating traditional Filipino fabric and indigenous materials into their garb.
Since former Senator Francis “Chiz” Escudero is now Sorsogon governor, his wife, actress Heart Evangelista, will be missed in the SONA red carpet.
Likewise, SONA red carpet lacks wattage this year since socialite Jinkee Pacquiao is with Senator Manny Pacquiao in the United States following the solon’s victory over Keith Thurman last Sunday.
Below are some of the looks that graced this year’s SONA red carpet.
- Lamar Jackson stole the show on red carpet
- Oscars 2018: When is the Red Carpet?
- The Latest: Derby red carpet roll call; Sharp Azteca wins
- We need to talk about Adam Rippon’s Oscars red carpet harness suit
- WOODY: Redskins hope red carpet brings answer at defensive tackle
- The Latest: Celebrities walk red carpet, share Derby picks
- PSG ace Neymar kisses girlfriend Bruna Marquezine as he hobbles on red carpet on crutches
- Ben Affleck gets sucked in by Boston Red Sox game on red carpet
- The Latest: Walter Payton team award winners on red carpet
- Japan-bred Nuovo Record wins Red Carpet Handicap at Del Mar