A team of Japanese researchers has developed a briefcase-sized portable dialysis system for use by renal disease sufferers, hoping it may prove a life-saver during disasters when medical care is difficult to access. Measuring 30 centimeters tall, 18 cm wide and 12 cm deep, the apparatus weighs 3 to 4 kilograms, including batteries, making it far smaller than conventional portable dialysis machines that are about the size of a mini fridge, according to the team. The instrument is equipped with a hemofilter that is one-eighth the size of its standard equivalent, and a blood-drawing pump about the size of an American $1 coin. Both of the downsized elements helped the team reduce the machine’s overall size, it said. The researchers from the University of Yamanashi, Kobe University, Kawasaki University of Medical Welfare and Kitasato University aim to start sales of the new device to medical institutions by 2023, after clinical tests are completed. People who have problems with their kidneys — the organs which purify the blood by removing waste products — face difficulties during natural disasters when the water and power required to run normal dialysis machines are cut and they are forced to evacuate. Read also: Living with… Read full this story
- Hanoi drainage company denies ruining Japan team's river cleanup efforts
- Western Desert Dialysis helping Indigenous people in 'kidney disease capital of the world'
- Aboriginal communities receive Medicare funding for dialysis in remote communities
- Does Japan's 'research whaling' help conserve whales?
- New machine raises country's image in photolithography
- Volvo to sell low-margin Japan truck unit to Isuzu in $2.3 billion deal
- Japan cabinet approves record $939 billion budget spending plan for fiscal year 2020/21
- Indonesia, Japan discuss maritime security, railway project
- Ministry of skill development and entrepreneurship to introduce skill vouchers
- Japan government approves eighth straight defense spending hike to record high
Japan team develops briefcase-sized dialysis machine have 299 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at July 1, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.