Date created : 21/07/2019 – 04:06 Portrush (United Kingdom) (AFP) Ireland’s Shane Lowry is on the brink of a huge popular first major win as he holds a four-shot lead over Englishman Tommy Fleetwood heading into the final round of the British Open on Sunday.Lowry delighted the thousands of fans following him around the Portrush course in the first Open to be held in Northern Ireland since 1951, with an eight-under par round of 63 to seize the lead on Saturday.His 16-under overall total of 197 is the lowest after 54 holes in British Open history.However, Lowry’s chances of beating the overall record to par of 19-under set by Tiger Woods at St. Andrews in 2000 could be undone by bad weather.After glorious conditions that allowed Lowry to go low on Saturday, heavy rain and strong winds are expected to return on Sunday so his tee time has been moved forward to 1247GMT.”I know tomorrow is going to be a difficult day. I know there’s some bad weather coming in, but I’m in a good position,” said Lowry.”I just have to do what I’ve been doing all year and hit the reset button tonight and go out there and shoot… Read full this story
- Peter Thomson, Australian Golfer With 5 British Open Wins, Dies at 88
- Francesco Molinari claims British Open win
- Molinari’s British Open win is first major victory ever by an Italian
- Emotional Georgia Hall joins golfing elite with British Open win
- British Open 2018 Odds: Winner Futures for Open Championship at Carnoustie
- Coleraine boss slams suspension rule despite impressive opening win
- From the Scottish Open to the British Open, Two Tournaments Linked
- British Open: Players to Watch
- Tiger Woods Thinks He Can Win the British Open. And He May Have a Point.
- The British Open, and More, Brings the Golf Spotlight to Scotland
Lowry on brink of breakthrough British Open win have 311 words, post on www.france24.com at July 20, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.