Jackie Groenen scored the extra-time goal that takes the Netherlands through to a women’s World Cup final against the United States. LYON: An extra-time strike by Jackie Groenen saw the Netherlands edge out Sweden 1-0 in a gruelling women’s World Cup semi-final in Lyon on Wednesday, taking the European champions through to this weekend’s final against the United States.After a goalless 90 minutes, midfielder Groenen — a former judo European Championship bronze medallist as a youth who recently agreed a move to Manchester United — broke the deadlock in the 99th minute of a tense contest in Lyon, breaking Swedish hearts in the process. When Danielle van de Donk’s pass was touched into her path by Swedish defender Linda Sembrant, Groenen sent a low shot from 20 yards beyond the reach of goalkeeper Hedvig Lindahl and into the far corner. Having knocked out former winners Japan and then Italy in the previous two rounds, the Dutch are now just one game away from adding a first World Cup to the title they won at Euro 2017, a tournament they hosted. Getting this far is a remarkable achievement for the ‘Oranje’, who are appearing at just their second World Cup, but… Read full this story
- Ladies represent Wales at hockey World Cup!
- After five years and two World Cups, Ellis signs off as USWNT coach
- After five years and two World Cups, Jill Ellis signs off as USWNT coach
- HOCKEY: Goalkeeper Emma helps England to World Cup silver
- US Women's soccer coach steps down
- Bobby Gould's Wales years
- Heydon seals his place in the BDO World Championship
- Explained: How the UEFA Nations League works
Netherlands to face USA in World Cup final have 279 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at July 4, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.