Tropical Storm Barry barreled toward water-logged New Orleans Thursday as the city girded for an ordeal that evoked fearful memories of 2005’s deadly Hurricane Katrina. The weather system, which has already caused major flooding in the low-lying city, is expected to strengthen and “become a hurricane late Friday or early Saturday,” according to the National Hurricane Center. With Barry just 90 miles (145 kilometers) from the mouth of the Mississippi River, Governor John Bel Edwards declared a state of emergency and two parishes, as counties are known in Louisiana, called for mandatory evacuations in some locations. The southern state was bracing for what Edwards said could be “an extreme rain event” that impacts “a huge portion of the state.” New Orleans Mayor Latoya Cantrell warned her city’s residents to review their emergency plans and supply kits, and to stay updated with the latest forecasts. The city was under a tropical storm warning, and “we could see impacts as early as Friday morning,” Cantrell said. “The center of Barry will be near the central or southeastern coast of Louisiana Friday night or Saturday,” the NHC predicted in its 1800 GMT bulletin, forecasting additional strengthening “during the next day or two.” Despite… Read full this story
- New York's sweeping bail reform was shortsighted
- Republicans on the spot as Senate braces for impeachment drama
- New Zealand's special relationship with China is on the rocks. Can Jacinda Ardern's Beijing trip save it?
- Chloe Ferry gives a sneak peek at her 'secret' new home complete with huge master bedroom, walk-in wardrobes and luxurious en-suite
- Donald Trump launches new attacks on 2020 Dems saying Joe Biden 'can't put together a sentence' while claiming Hillary Clinton was 'playing' Michael Bloomberg by promising to make him secretary of state
- New Orleans mayor declares state of emergency after cyberattack
- New Orleans Police Issue Warrant For Cleveland Browns Wide Receiver Odell Beckham Jr. Following National Championship Game
- New Orleans Indie Pop Group Sweet Crude Debut 'Déballez,' Announce New Album: Exclusive
- Humans could become vectors for new coronavirus but risk low, say China health authorities
- The Witcher Showrunner Teases New Characters in Season 2
New Orleans braces for new inundation as storm looms have 355 words, post on en.rfi.fr at July 11, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.