LONDON: Opening batsman Jason Roy has been named in England’s test squad for the first time for the one-off match against Ireland starting at Lord’s next Wednesday.
Roy racked up 443 runs in England’s triumphant 50-overs World Cup campaign, but is not a regular top-order batsman for Surrey in red-ball cricket.
The 28-year-old is expected to open the batting with Surrey team mate Rory Burns and will have an opportunity to impress the selectors ahead of the Ashes series against Australia starting on Aug. 1.
Somerset all-rounder Lewis Gregory has also been called up for the first time, while uncapped fast bowler Olly Stone, who picked up an injury on this year’s tour of West Indies, returned to the squad.
England’s leading wicket-taker James Anderson was included, despite picking up a calf injury this month.
England World Cup winners Jos Buttler and Ben Stokes were rested for the Ireland test but have been included in a 16-man pre-Ashes training camp this weekend.
Fast bowlers Mark Wood and Jofra Archer were not considered for selection because both players have suffered side strains.
Wood has been ruled out for four to six weeks while Archer will have a period of rest before being considered for Ashes selection.
England squad: Joe Root (captain), Moeen Ali, James Anderson, Jonny Bairstow (wicketkeeper), Stuart Broad, Rory Burns, Sam Curran, Joe Denly, Lewis Gregory, Jack Leach, Jason Roy, Olly Stone, Chris Woakes.
(Reporting by Hardik Vyas in Bengaluru, editing by Ed Osmond)
- Viggo Mortensen is Set Make His Directorial Debut with FALLING, Which He'll Also Star In
- Halle Berry to make her directorial debut with Bruised, a martial arts drama
- Charlie Day to Make Feature Directorial Debut El Tonto
- Robin Wright to Make Feature Directorial Debut with Land
- The Old Man: Jeff Bridges Making TV Series Debut in FX CIA Drama
- Deadmau5 to Make Film Score Debut for Jonas Akerlund's Polar
- Angelina Jolie in talks to make her Marvel debut in The Eternals
- Astros' Josh Reddick set for ALCS starting debut in Game 3
- Ajay Devgn clears the air on his daughter Nyasa soon making her Bollywood debut
- Bristol Palin To Make Her Acting Debut