UP outlasts Vanguard University, barges into BLIA Cup Finals
(Philstar.com) – July 20, 2019 – 6:08pm
MANILA, Philippines — The UP Fighting Maroons outgunned the Vanguard University Lions, 84-77, in the Buddha Light International Association (BLIA) Cup Semifinals in Taiwan on Saturday.
Despite trailing by double-digits at the end of the first half, the Fighting Maroons were able to claw back into the game with Bright Akhuetie leading the charge in the third quarter.
A slow start from the UP squad saw them struggling to find any offensive rhythm against the California-based team.
But Akhuetie and spark-off-the-bench Jaybie Mantilla were able to shift the momentum back to UP’s side early in the second half.
After that, it was a back-and-forth affair with neither squad pulling away until the final canto.
An unanswered 6-0 run put Vanguard U ahead by five in the middle of the fourth quarter, 71-66.
But the Maroons recovered fast enough to take back the lead courtesy of two free throw makes from Kobe Paras, 75-74.
It was all UP from that point on with the Diliman squad stretching the lead to seven, 81-74 with 30 seconds to go.
The UP squad now has a 4-0 record in the BLIA Cup and will be playing in the Finals tomorrow.
- 2006 Stanley Cup Final Preview
- World Cup Final 2006 - Is it France vs Italy or Zidane vs Lippi
- Brilliant, Cheeky and Ugly - World Cup Final 2006
- World Cup History - What was the the Best World Cup?
- World Cup History Takes You Back To Those Glorious Moments
- 2006 World Cup Basics
- World Cup Superstars - Who Is The Greatest Player?
- The Great World Cup Germany 2006
- Football World Cup News
- World Cup 2006 Review - Semi Finals & Final