S. Korea’s new anti-graft Bill targets lawmakers
SEOUL • South Korea is seeking to ratchet up penalties against lawmakers who increase their wealth by leveraging secrets obtained in office.
A Bill that slaps up to seven years of imprisonment or a 70 million won (S$81,000) fine will be submitted to Parliament for legislation by the end of this year, according to the website of the government-affiliated Anti-Corruption and Civil Rights Commission in Sejong, South Korea.
Pilot in India suspended for sending hijack alert
NEW DELHI • India has suspended a pilot for accidentally sending a hijack alert to air traffic control during a domestic flight last month, the aviation authority said. The AirAsia India plane, flying from the capital New Delhi to Srinagar, suffered a stalled engine and the captain told first officer Ravi Raj to send an emergency code to alert the authorities about the situation.
Instead of the appropriate code 7700, he transmitted 7500 – the code for a hijacking – India’s director-general of Civil Aviation said in a statement on Friday.
Brussels to expand 30kmh road speed limit
BRUSSELS • Europe’s capital city, Brussels, has made its choice: To reduce emissions and encourage greener, two-wheeled transport options, the road speed limit of 30kmh will be expanded to cover non-residential districts.
By Jan 1, 2021, vehicles will face a 30kmh limit everywhere apart from key thoroughfares – grand avenues and the inner ring-road.
- EXCLUSIVE: New anti-Airbnb ads accuse company of exploiting minorities in NYC
- Russian pole vault champ Yelena Isinbayeva condemns homosexuality, supports new anti-gay law
- A new flavor of target date funds that provides income for life is being offered by some 401(k) plans
- After brief respite, New York will endure below-freezing temperatures again
- World reacts to New York City’s proposed ban on big sugary sodas
- Diane Sawyer, after leading ABC's 'World News' to new heights, steps down as anchor
- Yankees win most valuable franchise in the world title in new Forbes list
- Steven Spielberg tells ‘60 minutes’: Anti-Semites targeted my family growing up in Phoenix
- Democrats plan campaign targeting lawmakers tied to NRA, plan to bring up new bill by summer
- 26% of the world's adults are anti-Semitic: study