JOHOR BARU: A total of 34 individuals were arrested in Johor between 2015 and 2018 for suspected involvement in terror activities, according to state deputy police chief Datuk Mohd Kamarudin Md Din.
He said the suspects comprised locals and foreigners but none were civil servants.
“Based on the information I have, it was more about ideology, fanatical beliefs on certain causes or leaders.
“But with our capability, especially the Special Branch, we have nipped these threats and arrested those involved before they could implement their agenda,” he said.
He was speaking at a press conference after the monthly assembly at the Johor police contingent headquarters and the handing over of duties from him to the new Johor deputy police chief Datuk Shafie Ismail.
Mohd Kamarudin said police would continue to monitor the situation and use the intelligence obtained from various quarters to combat terror threats.
In his speech, he reminded police personnel not to be influenced by radical beliefs or teachings.
He said that in Johor deviant teachings like Syiah and Hizbut Tahrir Malaysia (HTM) were being spread through various activities like demonstrations, protests, public discussions and seminars.
Mohd Kamarudin also said police would strive to further bring down the crime index in the state, especially in view of Visit Johor Year and the Malaysia Games next year. — Bernama
- Florida woman is arrested for 'allowing 14-year-old to drive' when the teen girl was pulled over for speeding with two other child passengers in the car
- Active Arrest Warrants - What is a Warrant For Arrest and Why You Should Care
- Whether We Need War on Terror Or Not
- Grindhouse - Planet Terror
- Terrorist Activity Increases Before Presidential Elections
- Vicarious Terror - The New Face of Compassion Fatigue
- Terrorism - Does It Achieve Anything?
- Arrest Records Search - How to Find a Person's Public Arrest History
- Panty raider! Army veteran, 37, is arrested after 'breaking into a home wearing only women's lingerie and fleeing police K9s completely nude'
- Nashville Prostitution Arrests