LONDON (AFP) – British Prime Minister Boris Johnson came under pressure on Sunday (Aug 18) to recall lawmakers immediately from their summer holiday so that Parliament can debate Brexit. More than 100 Members of Parliament have written to Mr Johnson to urge him to reconvene and let them sit permanently until Oct 31 – the date that Britain is due to leave the European Union. MPs are not due to return until Sept 3. “Our country is on the brink of an economic crisis, as we career towards a no-deal Brexit,” said the letter, signed by MPs and opposition party leaders who want to halt Britain’s departure from the EU. “We face a national emergency, and parliament must be recalled now.” Parliament is set to break up again shortly after it returns, with the main parties holding their annual conferences during the September break. Mr Johnson – whose government commands a one-seat majority – insists that Britain must leave the EU on Oct 31, with or without a divorce deal with Brussels. Labour main opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn wants to call a vote of no confidence in Mr Johnson’s government after Parliament returns. He hopes to take over as a… Read full this story
- Boris Johnson's bid for snap election is CRUSHED: Corbyn chickens out of letting public go to the polls as MPs inflict humiliating defeat on PM hours after passing law to stop No Deal
- Boris Johnson rules out a Leave Alliance with Nigel Farage as the PM puts the Tories on an election collision course with the Brexit Party, telling voters: 'The only way to get this thing done is to vote for us'
- Farage Targets Leave-voting Labour Heartlands, Makes Final Offer to Boris Johnson for Election Pact
- Boris Johnson will go head-to-head with Jeremy Corbyn in TV debate on ITV on 19 November
- British MPs want criminal charges for doping suppliers
- General election 2019: Boris Johnson rejects pact with Nigel Farage
- 2017 British Open odds: Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy early favorites
- What a 'No-Deal' Brexit Actually Means
- Johnson and Corbyn agree to head-to-head election debate on ITV
- How Brexit is playing into Erdoğan’s hands in Turkey
British MPs press Boris Johnson to recall Parliament over Brexit have 356 words, post on www.straitstimes.com at August 17, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.