French President Emmanuel Macron admitted there were “true disagreements” over Iran within the G7 club PARIS – French President Emmanuel Macron was to hold talks Friday with Iran’s foreign minister ahead of a G7 meeting where he will attempt to soothe tensions between Tehran and Washington at what risks being a stormy summit.”We’re at a critical moment,” Macron warned on Wednesday, acknowledging that Iran is “laying out a strategy for exiting the JCPOA,” the name of the 2015 accord reining in the country’s nuclear ambitions.He admitted this week there were “true disagreements” over Iran within the G7 club of rich nations, which are meeting in France this weekend. But Macron said he would “try to propose things” in the talks with Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif at the Elysee Palace in Paris on Friday.Tensions have soared in recent months over Iran’s disputed nuclear programme, with both Tehran and Washington claiming to have shot down rival drones in the Mideast.Iran has also locked horns with Britain, with Iran’s Revolutionary Guards seizing a British tanker in July after Britain detained an Iranian tanker off Gibraltar.France has stepped up its outreach to Iran’s President Hassan Rouhani, with Macron twice dispatching his diplomatic advisor… Read full this story
- Could Iran tensions push up petrol prices?
- Dissent grows among the loyalists Macron needs for reform push: sources
- All-party meet: Oppn raises Farooq's detention
- Texas Tech, TCU meet with both pushing for bowl eligibility
- Pompeo meets Danish FM on Greenland
- The Latest: French FM says US can ease tensions with Iran
- Boris Johnson larks around with Emmanuel Macron and Brigitte Macron on the shores of Biarritz at the G7 after hitting back at Donald Tusk for calling him 'Mr No Deal' in Brexit row
- Iran gives new knock to nuclear deal but it’s not yet broken
- France stresses need for Iran to respect nuclear accord
- The Latest: Australia and Japan still support Iran deal
Macron meets Iran FM to push for G7 detente have 332 words, post on www.bangkokpost.com at August 23, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.