Palace disputes ‘na-Duterte’ urban dictionary entry
(The Philippine Star) – August 21, 2019 – 12:00am
MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang yesterday sought to counter the meaning of “duterte” in a crowdsourced online dictionary, wherein the President’s surname was defined as fake, scam and treacherous, among other negative words.
The definition of ‘duterte’ was uploaded last month by an internet user in the Urban Dictionary, which posts definitions of slang words based on votes it gets from volunteer editors.
The word, as a noun, was defined as “a scam, sham, or rip-off; a traitor.”
Another internet user went as far as defining ‘duterte’ as “that leftover sh** that you wipe off your anus after pooping.”
A neutral user of the website defined it as “a colloquial word for anything that relates to Philippine President Rodrigo Roa Duterte.”
“Well, if that dictionary definition refers to the President, then we have our own definition of the man which is exactly the opposite of what that dictionary means,” Panelo said in a press briefing.
“‘Duterte’ to us means honest, incorruptible, politically-willed person, courageous, selfless, honest, transparent and all good things… and other synonymous terms,” he added.
Panelo suspects anti-Duterte groups may be behind the negative definition. He admitted that he has not heard of Urban Dictionary before.
“We do not even know if Duterte refers to the President or to the family’s name,” the spokesman said.
It was not the first time a President’s name was given a negative meaning online.
During the time of former president Benigno Aquino III, his nickname “Noynoy” was used to denote inaction on important matters.
According to Wikipedia, ‘Noynoying’ involves “posing in a lazy manner, such as sitting idly while resting the head on one hand and doing nothing.”
- Credit Repair Dispute - How to Start the Process
- Dictionaries Are Important Reference Tools For Writers
- Bangalore Palace - A Fairytale Medieval Castle in the Heart of Bangalore
- Improving Your Spanish Reading and Dictionary Skills
- Disputing Credit Report Errors Effectively
- How to Dispute Negative Items on My Credit Report
- 2 Ways to Dispute Everything on Your Credit Report
- Will Negative Entries Such As Collections and Charge-Offs Remain on My Report Forever?
- In an Urban Oasis, Honeymooners Find Paradise
- Urban Work Wardrobe - Business Suits