MANILA, Philippines – Technological Institute of the Philippines (TIP) is now assured of a Top 2 finish in Group B, following a 105-95 triumph over Alberei in the 2019 PBA D-League Foundation Cup on Monday at the Ynares Sports Arena.
Papa Ndiaye spearheaded the Engineers’ charge, finishing with 37 points, 18 rebounds, and 4 assists in his first game back since suffering a hamstring injury.
His efforts were enough as TIP locked up a twice-to-beat advantage in the semifinals with a 5-1 win-loss record.
Bryan Santos got himself a double-double with 28 points, 11 boards, two assists, and two steals, while Ximone Sandagon recorded 12 points and four rebounds.
However, coach Potit de Vera was dissatisfied with their effort, as TIP saw an 18-point lead, 92-74, dwindle to six points, 101-95, with 37 seconds to play.
“I’m not happy with today’s ball game,” he lamented. “I don’t want to go to the playoffs with the thinking that our players are good enough.”
The Engineers managed to ice the game off Sandagon’s putback dunk and Ndiaye’s late layup,
“We always have to go all out, and I just want to keep on doing that,” said de Vera, obviously disappointed at how his players nearly squandered a 37-point third quarter that saw them turn a 49-44 halftime lead into an 86-71 edge.
Jonathan Parreno and Jomari Lacastesantos poured 20 points apiece for the hard-luck Kings, which stayed winless through four outings.
TIP 105 — Ndiaye 37, B. Santos 28, Sandagon 12, Daguro 8, Tan 5, Calara 5, I. Santos 4, Carurucan 3, Pinca 3, Ramilo 0, Ang 0, Pasamante 0, Navarro 0.
ALBEREI 95 — Parreno 20, Lacastesantos 20, Rebollos 17, Tano 11, Velasquez 6, Abad 5, Tomilloso 5, Palattao 4, Yasa 3, Diaz 2, Saldana 2, Perlas 0.
Quarters: 25-24, 49-44, 86-71, 105-95.
For more sports coverage, visit the ABS-CBN Sports website.
- Google+ to shut down after security bug
- Australian government clamping down on security research, academic says
- Dota 2 Paris Major: Team Secret And Team Liquid Secure Spots
- Katy Perry holds down Hot 100 spot
- Google Chrome 70 To Double Down On Security From October
- ‘League Of Legends’ Mobile Version Leaked?
- The world's first professional fantasy football league uses blockchain technology
- Security Roundup: Facebook 'Unintentionally' Collected Email Contacts of 1.5 Million Users
- Q&A: The state of cyber security
- The Unprecedented Effort to Secure Election Day