REUTERS: American Sloane Stephens has parted ways with her coach Sven Groeneveld less than a week before the U.S. Open gets underway, the former champion has said.
Stephens, who only teamed up with Dutchman Groeneveld in May, has not announced a replacement ahead of the year’s final Grand Slam, which begins on Monday.
“After much thought, Sven Groeneveld and I have decided to go our separate ways,” 2017 champion Stephens said in a tweet https://twitter.com/SloaneStephens/status/1163451348949655552.
“Change is never easy, but I’m so appreciative of our time together. Onward!”
Groeneveld, who has previously coached former world number ones Ana Ivanovic and Maria Sharapova, thanked Stephens for their time together.
“I wish you a strong @usopen, you have all it takes, I believe in you!” he wrote on Twitter.
(Reporting by Rohith Nair in Bengaluru; Editing by Peter [email protected]; +822 6936 1482)
- Kapil Dev-led CAC reappoints Ravi Shastri as head coach of Indian cricket team
- Rugby league coach Paul Stephens back in jail for abusing boy before 'horrific' child sex offences
- Stephen Fleming steps down as Stars head coach
- Claire Foy splits from husband Stephen Campbell Moore
- Stephen Harper: master manipulator
- How former Wallaby Stephen Hoiles banishes the dreaded dad bod
- Brian Flores Encourages Kenny Stills To Keep Stephen Ross Criticisms Private, Like A Real Company Man
- 12 Surprising Country Star Splits
- Travis’ Straub commits to Sam Houston State ahead of third UIL state cross country meet
- The Guardian view on Canada’s elections: is the Stephen Harper era over?