The Dark Crystal is a tremendous filmmaking achievement that’s only a pretty good movie. A technical marvel, undoubtedly; definitive proof that film is a collaborative medium, and a formative experience for the devoted cult that saw it when they were young and have now passed it onto their children. But also a B-, B if you’re feeling generous. Like many other big-budget genre blockbusters flying in Star Wars’ contrails during the early 1980s—David Lynch’s Dune comes to mind—it puts a fully realized, authentically unearthly realm on the screen, and then fails to give that place much in the way of a narrative. Another world, another time, in the age of Westeros: Netflix funds a return trip to Thra, winding the clock back to before the emergence of the heroic Jen and Kira, to an era when the elfin Gelfling and the monstrous Skeksis lived in tenuous (and, it turns out, entirely bogus) harmony. And a moment when the grand ambitions of Jim Henson, Frank Oz, Brian and Wendy Froud, David Odell, and countless others are realized in The Dark Crystal: Age Of Resistance. Advertisement That original film is first and foremost a visual experience, and the imagery still takes precedence… Read full this story
- Crystal Palace flew high after bad start and Dundee will too says new boy Ryan Inniss
- Play with light and dark in animation of The Incredibles 2
- What to watch with your kids: ‘The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance’ and more
- Yet more deadline day drama as Dundee announce signing of Crystal Palace defender
- Can you help identify man accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl on 358 bus?
- Star wars actor to open Selsey ‘Men in Sheds’
- Exclusive interview with Patrick van Aanholt: 'Playing in a cage in Holland made me the player I am'
- Heartbreaking extracts from mother's diary after son stabbed to death
- Star Wars producer Gary Kurtz dies aged 78
- Gary Kurtz, Star Wars producer, dies
The Dark Crystal have 332 words, post on tv.avclub.com at August 29, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.