MALAGA, Spain: Dozens of Britons marched through the southern Spanish city of Malaga on Sunday (Sep 22) to register their concerns about their uncertain status as Britain prepares to leave the European Union.Spain is home to around 300,000 Britons. Together with Portugal, the Iberian peninsula accounts for almost a quarter of all Britons living in Europe, UN data shows.”We feel really forgotten here in Spain,” said Michael Soffe, a 61-year-old businessman who has lived in Malaga for 30 years. “Many here are pensioners – will they lose their healthcare overnight, for example?” he added.Protesters brandished European Union, Spanish and British flags and held banners reading “They’re trying to make us leave the EU” and “Take back control: My grandkids’ future”.Spain is the most popular European retirement destination for Britons, with around a third of British residents aged over 65. Among foreign nationals, they are by far the biggest users of Spain’s state-funded universal healthcare system.Many are concerned they will lose their free access to Spanish healthcare, currently assured by the European Union, as a result of Britain’s exit from the bloc.Acting Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez, who could be replaced following November elections, has sought to reassure Britons living in Spain,… Read full this story
- The EU gives Spain a Brexit deal veto over Gibraltar in leaked guidelines
- Poll: Most Britons Prefer a No-Deal Brexit over a Prime Minister Corbyn and Second Referendum
- JPMorgan asks several dozen staff to move due to Brexit
- Gibraltar has worked with Spain on Brexit deal, chief minister says
- Amazon workers strike in Spain ahead of Three Kings gift-giving
- Germany loss a warning for Spain ahead of Iran clash
- Lopetegui shadow hangs over Spain ahead of Morocco game
- Hundreds march against Trump ahead of NY visit
- Farage leads march on London against Brexit 'betrayal'
Dozens of Britons march in southern Spain ahead of Brexit have 307 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 22, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.