Gibraltar’s chief minister on Monday dissolved parliament and called a general election next month, saying the territory needs “strong leadership” ahead of Britain’s scheduled departure from the European Union on October 31. Speaking to a news conference, Fabian Picardo called for the vote to be held on October 17 to ensure a strong government was in place to tackle the fallout from Brexit. “Gibraltar will need settled and strong leadership going into Brexit, especially if there is also to be an election in the UK and potentially in Spain thereafter,” said Picardo who was elected for a second term in 2015. Britain’s decision to leave the EU has revived controversy over Spain’s long-standing claim to the territory, although it will not change the status of Gibraltar, which is also known as “The Rock”. Britain’s Boris Johnson has tried to push for a snap election to resolve the political deadlock, and Spain is also struggling with a political crisis which could drag the country to a fourth general election in as many years. During Britain’s 2016 referendum on whether to leave the EU, this tiny peninsula of some 30,000 people on Spain’s southern tip voted overwhelmingly to remain within the EU…. Read full this story
- New Poll Shows Joe Biden Beating Donald Trump in General Election
- After this general election is it time to downgrade opinion polls?
- Democratic Revolution: Farage’s Brexit Party Pulls Ahead of Tories in General Election Poll
- Boris Johnson draws up plan to legally stop Brexit extension if MPs vote against general election
- Coronavirus COVID-19: South Korea holds presidential election with necessary precautions
- General election 2019: Are Lib Dem bar charts and posts on tactical voting misleading people?
- General election 2019: Misleading campaigns 'undermined trust'
- Boris Johnson to launch new official bid for a general election 'shortly'
- Conservatives Form Unified Bloc for General Election
- Biden launches opening salvo of general election and attacks Trump on coronavirus
Gibraltar to hold general election on eve of Brexit have 324 words, post on en.rfi.fr at September 16, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.