ATHENS, Greece: Ten migrants posing as a volleyball team were arrested at Athens’ International Airport trying to travel with illegally obtained passports, Greek police said on Sunday (Sep 22).Police said the migrants, who had entered Greece without legal documents, arrived at the Eleftherios Venizelos airport on Saturday hoping the disguise would get them past controls more easily.They wore matching outfits, carried matching sports bags and, for good measure, brought two volleyballs.But border police established that the passports they presented had been illegally obtained, and arrested the group.According to police sources, they are Syrian nationals who had hoped to travel to Zurich with Ukrainian passports.Migrants arriving in Greece often make great efforts to slip through closed Greek frontiers to reach other destinations.According to the latest official numbers, there are more than 26,600 asylum seekers in overcrowded camps on Lesbos, Chios and Samos, the Greek islands at the forefront of the migrant influx.
- Report: Native American Volleyball Team Called ‘Savages,’ Leave Game for Safety Reasons
- Mayor To Welcome University Of Wyoming Volleyball Team To Cheyenne
- Greek Police Make Arrest in 1985 Hijacking of TWA Flight 847
- At least 14 dead in Canadian junior hockey team bus crash, police say
- College student on a trip to the Ozarks fell 100 feet to her death while posing for a photo
- Quang Nam to play host to VTV International Women's Volleyball Cup
- Notorious drug lord is set to walk out of prison as dozens of criminals claim their convictions were tainted by police misconduct during gang war
- Fire union chief blasts 'back-to-front' Grenfell report for probing rescue teams BEFORE those behind cladding and safety - as ex-fireman MP says 'every firefighter will feel guilty today'
- Smoke From Palisades Hotspot Poses No Threat: Palisades Patrol
- Car Stolen From Bolingbrook Business, Police Say
Migrants posing as volleyball team blocked by Greek police have 300 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at September 22, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.