Issued on: 25/09/2019 – 00:06 United Nations (United States) (AFP) South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Tuesday proposed that the United Nations create an “international peace zone” to replace the peninsula’s divide, saying the idea would both reassure the North and inspire the world.The left-leaning leader, whose diplomacy paved the way for historic summits between President Donald Trump and North Korean strongman Kim Jong Un, laid out his rosy vision for the last Cold War frontier in an address to the UN General Assembly.He asked the international community to commit to designating the international peace area to replace the 250-kilometer (155-mile) Demilitarized Zone that has split the two Koreas for more than 60 years.Moon said the zone would offer an added incentive for Kim to give up nuclear weapons, the focus of more than a year of on-again, off-again talks between North Korea and the United States.”The establishment of an international peace zone will provide an institutional and realistic guarantee for North Korea’s security,” Moon said.”At the same time South Korea will be able to gain permanent peace,” he said.Moon voiced hope that the zone, which is four kilometers wide, would become the home of UN agencies dedicated to conflict… Read full this story
- Gary Johnson Appears to Confuse North Korean Leader With Voldemort,
- War With North Korea Could Mean A Refugee Crisis No One Is Ready For
- Why Guam Is Important Enough To Be In North Korea's Crosshairs
- FBI lacks evidence North Korea to blame for Sony hack
- Deal Reached To De-Escalate Volatile Situation On The Korean Peninsula
- What North Korea's Advanced Missile Test Means For The U.S. And Its Allies
- North And South Korea Exchange Artillery Fire Along DMZ
- Kim Jong-Un Is "Getting Fatter," Reports the Korean Media
- Sources Say Kim Jong Un Has Banned Sarcasm in North Korea. Not Funny.
- North Korea's Internet said to go dark after cyberattack claims
S.Korean leader proposes peace zone buffering North have 323 words, post on www.france24.com at September 24, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.