Aid group Doctors Without Borders (MSF) on Monday accused the World Health Organization of rationing the Ebola vaccine in the Democratic Republic of Congo where more than 2,100 people have died of the deadly virus. “One of the main problems currently is the fact that in practice the vaccine is rationed by the WHO and that too few people at risk are protected today,” MSF said in a statement. It called for “the creation of an independent international coordination committee” to “guarantee the transparency of the management of stocks and data sharing”. Around 225,000 people have received the Ebola vaccination manufactured by German pharma giant Merck since August 8, 2018, “but this number remains largely insufficient”, MSF said. “Up to 2,000-2,5000 people could be vaccinated every day, against the current 50-1,000 people,” MSF director of operations Isabelle Defourny said in the statement. – ‘Tight controls’ – “MSF’s efforts to expand access to the vaccination in collaboration with the Ministry of Health… have come up against tight control imposed by WHO on supplies of vaccines,” MSF said. “The reasons behind these restrictions remain unclear,” it said, adding that the current vaccine had “demonstrated its safety and effectiveness”. The medical charity also… Read full this story
- Hoping to head off an epidemic, Congo turns to experimental Ebola vaccine
- Geneva: aid conference for DR Congo sets sights on $1.7 bn
- Ebola outbreak spreads to urban area as deaths mount
- WHO preparing for worst-case Ebola scenario
- Ebola Outbreak 2018: WHO Preparing for ‘Worst Case Scenario,' Know the Virus' Symptoms
- Merck’s Vaccine Won’t Be the End of Ebola
- Sweden wins lead role in Europe's Ebola fight
- Erectile Dysfunction Drugs and Flu Vaccine may Work Together to Help Immune System Fight Cancer After Surgery
- Study finds social media interaction can improve attitudes toward vaccines
- Do You Need a Vaccine to Go to the Kentucky Derby?
WHO accused of rationing Ebola vaccine in DR Congo have 308 words, post on en.rfi.fr at September 22, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.