PARIS: A third of the world’s nearly 700 million children under five years old are undernourished or overweight and face lifelong health problems as a consequence, according to a grim UN assessment of childhood nutrition released Tuesday (Oct 15). ”If children eat poorly, they live poorly,” said UNICEF executive director Henrietta Fore, unveiling the Fund’s first State of the World’s Children report since 1999.”We are losing ground in the fight for healthy diets.”Problems that once existed at opposite ends of the wealth spectrum have today converged in poor and middle-income countries, the report showed.Despite a nearly 40 per cent drop from 1990 to 2015 of stunting in poor countries, 149 million children four or younger are today still too short for their age, a clinical condition that impairs both brain and body development.Another 50 million are afflicted by wasting - a chronic and debilitating thinness also born of poverty.At the same time, half of youngsters across the globe under five are not getting essential vitamins and minerals, a long-standing problem UNICEF has dubbed “hidden hunger”.Over the last three decades, however, another form of child malnutrition has surged across the developing world: excess weight.”This triple burden – undernutrition, a lack of crucial micronutrients,… Read full this story
- Top-ranked Djokovic picks up another title: UNICEF goodwill ambassador
- Tennis’ Djokovic has new title – UNICEF goodwill ambassador
- Messi promotes new campaign to educate children
- Barcelona sign new Unicef deal
- What the hell happened to the Boxcar Children’s parents?
- NFL players who started young show more thinking problems
- My generation trashed the planet. So I salute the children striking back
- Doug Cifu Q&A: Young talent has Panthers on right track
- Beckham returning to soccer field to play in UNICEF game
- David Beckham returning to soccer field to play in UNICEF game
1 in 3 young children undernourished or overweight: UNICEF have 304 words, post on www.channelnewsasia.com at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.