Police have arrested 22 terrorist suspects following the stabbing of Coordinating Political, Legal and Security Affairs Minister Wiranto last week.
The 22 people arrested by the National Police’s antiterrorism squad Densus 88 include the suspected perpetrator of the stabbing, identified only as SA, aka Abu Rara, and his wife, FA, who was also at the crime scene in Pandeglang, Banten. The two were detained shortly after the incident on Oct. 10.
The other 20 people are allegedly affiliated with the Islamic State-linked homegrown militant group Jamaah Ansharut Daulah (JAD) and have sworn loyalty to the group chief, Abu Bakar al-Baghdadi.
“As of Monday afternoon, Densus 88 personnel had conducted preventive strikes against 22 people,” National Police spokesperson Brig. Dedi Prasetyo said on Monday, kompas.com reports.
On the day the incident occurred, the police held a suspect identified only as WBN in Bandung, West Java, and a father and son, AT and ZAI, in Bali.
The next day on Oct. 11, a suspect identified only as S, aka Jack Sparrow, was caught in North Sulawesi, TH in Cengkareng in West Jakarta and R, aka Putra, in Jambi. Dedi said that R was the brains of the group.
“R was the mastermind,” Dedi said.
A suspect identified only as NAS turned himself in to the police in Lampung on Sunday. On the same day, the police arrested A in Central Sulawesi, as well as RF and YF in Indramayu and Cirebon, respectively, in West Java.
The police detained on Monday more suspects in Lampung, namely APS, aka Aris Hidayat, TH, Y, aka Yudistira, MRM, aka Rifki, and UD. The last three suspects, N, JJ and AAs were caught in Bandung.
Regarding the suspected Wiranto attacker, Abu Rara, and his wife, National Intelligence Agency chief Budi Gunawan said last week that the couple had been under the agency’s surveillance for months.
In response to journalists’ questions as to how the attack could happen despite the surveillance, Budi said that JAD worked in cells comprising both lone wolves and small groups.
“There are so many cells, so we also call on the public to help us monitor these cells,” he said.
Immediately after the attack, Wiranto was rushed to Gatot Subroto Army Hospital (RSPAD) in Central Jakarta where he was treated for stab wounds. (vla)
- Suspect in BART fatal stabbing deserves death penalty, past victim says
- ‘Stabbing’ at Roddy Ricch rap gig in Brixton as London knife epidemic rages on
- ‘Terror attack’ near Heathrow Airport as Met Police say Stanwell stabbing ‘inspired by Far Right’
- London stabbings 2019 – latest knife crime statistics and attacks after Kensington attack
- Knifeman stabs at least three New Year’s revellers in frenzied attack at Manchester Victoria Station
- Bronx Teen Guilty of Fatal School Stabbing Sentenced to 14 Years
- NY Man Stabs Brother With Butcher Knife at Priest's House: Police
- Man Kills 4, Wounds 2 in California Stabbing Rampage
- This Man Lost Part of His Leg in a Terrorist Attack. Now, He’s Set to Run the Brussels Marathon
- Morocco murders – Fears of ISIS terror cell bomb attack as ‘explosives’ found during terror raids on nine more suspects
- 15-Year-Old Stabbed in the Bronx, FDNY Says
- Cops hunt the ‘McDonald’s 22’ suspects wanted over Birmingham gang brawl that saw three teens stabbed
- Does surviving a terrorist attack rewire the brain? Study finds exposure to terror may increase risk of migraine, other headaches
- London mosque attack – ‘Racist thug’ calls Muslim worshippers ‘terrorists’ in hammer attack hours after New Zealand shooting
- ‘Strawberry sabotage’ spreads with needle found in banana… as Australian cops hunt ‘commercial terrorist’ behind fruit tampering
- Valero Refinery in Benicia performing controlled shutdown after emissions incident, air advisory issued
- Knife-wielding maniac stabs three people and attacks cops in Melbourne city centre after torching his car
- Suspect Wanted in Urine Attacks on Female Transit Workers
- Store clerk shot, killed in northwest Houston; suspect on the run
- Man Stabbed On Board Bronx Subway Train in Broad Daylight
22 terrorist suspects held following Wiranto stabbing incident have 632 words, post on www.thejakartapost.com at October 10, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.