Minutes after the Celdran family announced Carlos’ death, social media outlets were flooded with posts from friends and strangers alike, each expressing sentiments of shock, grief, regret, admiration and gratitude. Some people loved him while others scoffed at him — regardless of how one felt about Carlos, his patriotism, love of Manila, artistry and courage were irrefutable. Through his walking tour and theater performances, he made us remember history, challenged us to question the status quo and incited discussions for better government policies. He believed that art had the power to change the nation. After all, he said, political acts and firey words are eventually forgotten — but art always endures. Art has the power to make a society change without forcing them to. The Guernica, and how it impacted the Spanish Civil war, is a supreme example of this. For those that didn’t know him, Carlos was an artist of multiple dimensions. He was a cartoonist, a visual artist, theater performer, writer, historian and tour guide. He is best known for his “Walk this Way” Tours of Intramuros and for being the driving force behind the Manila Biennale of 2018. He gained infamy for standing up against the catholic… Read full this story
- Culture.ee's weekly recommendations: 1-7 October
- Museum of Archaeology and Ethnography preserves finest collections of cultural history [PHOTO]
- Baku preparing for third edition of colorful Indonesian Cultural Festival
- 3rd Indonesian Cultural Festival opens in Baku [PHOTO]
- Culture.ee's weekly recommendations: 6-12 August
- Iranian Cultural Center to host art exhibition
- Pärnu, Tartu, Viljandi to jointly bid for European Capital of Culture 2024
- European festival of cultural heritage to be held in Baku [PHOTO]
- Culture.ee: 'A century of the Estonian home in the city'
- National Art Museum.Treasure trove for cultured travelers
Carlos Celdran, the people’s cultural activist have 301 words, post on www.philstar.com at October 16, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.