BEIJING: China will struggle to buy $50 billion of US farm goods annually unless it removes retaliatory tariffs on American products, and doing so would require reciprocal action by President Donald Trump, people familiar with the matter said. Beijing is willing to start purchasing more US agricultural products as part of the “phase one” trade deal, but it is not likely to reach the $40 billion to $50 billion touted by Trump under current circumstances, the people said. The people asked not to be identified discussing the private negotiations. The condition highlights how far apart Washington and Beijing remain, even after reaching the handshake accord touted by the US last week. Washington had said China, which imported about $20 billion of US farm goods in 2017, agreed to make large agricultural purchases in exchange for relief on upcoming tariffs. Beijing’s position makes a deal more complex than initially described. US equity futures pared gains on the news and the yen extended an advance, as investor optimism waned about prospects for a trade deal between the world’s two largest economies. Under the terms of the partial trade arrangement, Chinese spending on US farm goods will scale to an annual figure of… Read full this story
- U.S., China resume trade talks as Trump imposes new tariffs
- Donald Trump Says You Need A Picture ID To Buy Groceries In America
- Donald Trump Echoes Rudy Giuliani: 'Collusion Is Not A Crime'
- Rosie O'Donnell Baits Donald Trump With Broadway Tunes Protest Outside White House
- Donald Trump Jr. Says Democrats Are More Like Nazis Than Republicans Are
- Progressive Activists Are Pretty Meh About Impeaching Donald Trump
- Anderson Cooper Taunts Donald Trump Jr. Over Awkward 'Ferris Bueller' Moment
- Melania Trump's Parents Likely Became U.S. Citizens Through 'Chain Migration' Donald Trump Blasts
- Donald Trump Jr. Gets Duped By Doctored Graphic, Shares It On Instagram
- Omarosa: 'There's One Way To Shut Donald Trump Down'
China ties agriculture binge to Donald Trump reducing retaliatory tariffs have 317 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at October 15, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.