Malapitan bags four golds in Palarong Pambansa cluster meet
Philippine Swimming League (PSL) standout Rio Lorenzo Malapitan copped four gold medals in the 2019 Calapan City Private Schools Cluster Meet–Palarong Pambansa qualifying held at the Oriental Mindoro National High School swimming pool in Calapan, Mindoro.
Malapitan, a veteran of international competitions, started his campaign on a high note after topping the 50m freestyle event with a time of 27.30 seconds then earned another gold in the 50m butterfly by virtue of his impressive 28.70-second showing.
The Divine Word College-Calapan tanker completed a sweet sweep of all of his four events by dominating his last two events – the 50m breaststroke (30.80) and 50m backstroke (33.50).
Before the Cluster Meet, Malapitan had a two-week training camp under the supervision of PSL president and multi-titled veteran coach Alexandre Papa.
“We had a two-week training camp, we just corrected some strokes and underwent strength and conditioning process. We’re happy that he improved a lot after the camp,” said Papa.
Malapitan is preparing for the 2020 Palarong Pambansa.
Up next for Malapitan in the Calapan City Meet slated on November 21 to 22 — a tournament that will serve as qualifying event for the Palarong Pambansa next year.
“I’m thankful to coach Alex for guiding and helping me improve my skills. And I would also like to thank my parents for their full support,” said Malapitan referring to his parents Christia Malapitan and Randy Malapitan.
Malapitan has been winning gold medals in international competitions.
He won gold medals in the Singapore Invitational Swimming Championship in Singapore and Tokyo Age Group Swimming Championship in Japan.
- Having a Delta credit card gets you a free checked bag every time you fly the airline — here's how to use the perk
- 8 laptop bags we legitimately love
- Report: North Korea Still Making Cluster Bombs
- Cancer DNA Binds to Gold. That Could Lead to New Cancer Blood Test.
- The Mission Workshop Radian is the one bag to rule them all
- Gold spikes after Trump scraps North Korea meeting
- Indonesia ends search for victims of gold mine collapse
- US Stocks To Open Lower, Gold Steady But Oil Slips
- Higher Open Likely For US Markets: Oil, Gold High
- With Rate Hike In The Bag, Focus Turns To Fed's Policy Language