BANGKOK, Oct. 11 (Xinhua) — The Friday economic cabinet meeting in Bangkok has given the nod to 18 tourism stimulus measures that was proposed by the Ministry of Tourism and Sports to stimulate economy for the final quarter of this year.
Kobsak Phutrakul, minister to the Thai Prime Minister’s Office said that the tourism stimulus packages would help spur the Thai economy as the global economic situation has taken its toll on Thai exports.
These stimulus measures are aimed at attracting more tourists to push for the country’s GDP growth to reach three percent, said Kobsak.
Kobsak said some of the larger world events would include the Ultra Trail Thailand, a mega sports event, the Tomorrowland music festival and the World Cannabis Expo.
As for short-term measures to spur the economy, Kobsak said the government would be reviewing laws and regulations to support the use of e-wallet by foreign tourists and to promote domestic tourism among expat groups.
Operation hours of two border check points will be extended to 24 hours during weekends and long holiday and issuance of electronic visa (E-visa) will be accelerated for Chinese tourists, Kobsak added.
The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) expects this year’s tourism income will increase to 1.12 trillion baht (36.7 million U.S. dollars), or about 10-20 percent growth from the previous target of 1.05 trillion baht (34.4 million U.S. dollars).
- Thai government ready to push ‘Phuket Model’ plan implementation, says deputy prime minister
- Govt to accelerate vaccinations, stimulus measures - PM
- Doubts Persist Over Thailand’s Economy Despite New Cabinet
- Strengthening Thai Baht Strangling Thailand’s Economy
- Best Stimulus Ever?
- Government taken to task over 'behind schedule' COVID-19 vaccine rollout on Q+A
- Tourism, retail stocks picked to profit
- Bank of Thailand Fails to Rein in the Strengthening Thai Baht
- Bank of Thailand Says Increasing Debt Ceiling Will Aide Economy
- Thai army seizes power in coup to restore 'peace'
Thai government gives nod to 18 tourism stimulus measures to spur sagging economy have 308 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at October 11, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.