After a chilly and damp start to October, a big freeze is set to swoop across Britain as winter sets in early. In just over a week, experts predict the mercury could plummet as freezing temperatures grip the country. Meteorologists believe it could be the coldest winter Britain has experienced since 1963 – the bleakest conditions in 56 years.
And what’s more, the cold snap could engulf the country in just ten-days time.
Snow is also predicted to fall this month, ahead of November and December, of which both months are traditionally associated with frosty weather.
Coral spokesman John Hill said: “The falling temperatures so far this month have prompted an early flurry of bets on us having a White Christmas this year.
“As always in our White Christmas betting, the Scottish and northern cities in England have the shortest odds on snow fall but we are also seeing bets on London seeing the white stuff this year.”
The bookmakers also say there is an early 6-4 shot of a White Christmas in the Uk this year – and a 2-1 chance of snow falling before the end of the month.
Coral spokesman Harry Aitkenhead added: “Winter is coming now and already eyes are beginning to turn to the chances of snow falling.
“It’s 2-1 to come anytime this month, whilst the dream White Christmas is 6-4.
Speaking to the Mirror, Exacta Weather forecaster James Madden explained the reasons for the sudden chilling turn in climate.
He said: “October is now looking like it will turn out to be colder than average with more of a chance of something wintery setting in through the second half of the month.
“There is a strong chance of widespread frosts and the chance of snowfall which will set the scene for November.
“This will pave the way for what is shaping up to be a colder than average winter with some extreme cold weather events.
“While these could start to make an impact within the next few weeks they will be particularly troublesome from December onwards.
DON’T MISS Torrential storms to engulf Europe as winds force temperature drop [ANALYSIS] US snow: ‘Historic’ winter SNOW storm hits California and Washington [MAPPED] UK snow forecast: October could be COLDEST on record [IN DEPTH]
“Snow events have been few and far between in recent years, but this winter is looking favourable to bring snow event after snow event as weather systems from the Atlantic clash with cold stagnated air over the UK.
The remnants of Hurricane Lorenzo will bring more wet and windy weather to the UK this weekend.
As such, the Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning for heavy rain and flooding on Sunday.
Lorenzo spent several hours as a Category 5 hurricane in the central Atlantic Ocean, before slipping back in force.
Heavy rain is expected eastern and northern parts of England, as well as southern Scotland.
The agency is warning public transport will be affected by stormy conditions, while motorists have been warned to take extra care on the roads.
Disruption to power services and the risk of flooding to businesses and homes is also likely.
And on Monday, there’s more bad news for Britons.
An estimated 20mm of rain is predicted to fall in west England, while up to 40mm will washout large sections of Wales. (24)
- UK weather forecast: Britain set for White Christmas as snow expected in Arctic blast
- Pyeongchang Winter Olympics to be the coldest for 20 years
- UK weather forecast – Storm Jorge to batter Britain with 70mph wind and 3ins rain today, Met Office warns
- UK weather forecast: Odds slashed on hottest May EVER as sun to sizzle Britain next week
- UK weather forecast – Two inches snow in South East with ‘severe’ Met Office warning for outskirts of London tonight
- UK weather forecast – Danger to life’ warnings issued as snow, ice and more floods to batter Britain TODAY
- UK weather forecast – Met Office says February is officially the wettest EVER and warns snow is coming
- UK weather forecast: Met Office warns flood-hit areas to get more heavy rain this week
- Why This Year’s Snowy Winter Weather Predictions Were A Bust
- UK weather forecast: Storm Jorge batters Britain with 60mph winds as officials issue 69 flood warnings for weekend
UK winter weather forecast: Britain braced for coldest winter in 60 years have 712 words, post on www.express.co.uk at October 5, 2019. This is cached page on Asean News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.