PUNE: Scientists at the National Centre for Radio Astrophysics of the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (NCRA-TIFR, Pune) and the Indian Institute of Science Education and Research, Mohali (IISER- Mohali) have used the upgraded Giant Metrewave Radio Telescope (GMRT) to carry out the most distant measurement of the atomic hydrogen content of galaxies in the early Universe, informed NCRA. The GMRT is built and operated by NCRA-TIFR and is among the largest radio telescopes in the world. Galaxies like the Milky-way are made up of stars and gas. The life cycle of a galaxy is essentially the conversion of gas to stars through gravitational collapse of gas clouds. Understanding how galaxies form and evolve thus requires measurements of how both their stars and gas evolve with time. Over the last two decades, astronomers have accurately measured the stellar masses and star formation rates of populations of galaxies at different epochs in the Universe. However, little is known about the evolution of the atomic gas content of galaxies, the “fuel” for star formation. Scientists at the NCRA-TIFR and IISER-Mohali have used the upgraded GMRT to measure gas contents in most distant galaxies. Apurba Bera, a Ph.D. student at NCRA-TIFR and the… Read full this story
- Upgraded GMRT opens up space for path-breaking discoveries, says Yashwant Gupta
- Stabilisation measures impact masses a great deal
- 'Humiliated' women break down in tears as airline tells them they're too large to fly business class and flight attendants used a TAPE-MEASURE to check if they could fit inside seatbelts
- Budget 2020: Modi government’s last four union budgets a mixed bag for oil and gas industry
- Astronomers detect large amounts of oxygen in ancient star's atmosphere
- Researchers make surprising discovery in one of the universe's oldest stars
- The supergiant Betelgeuse star will explode. It's just a matter of when, astronomers say
- Astronomers get the best look at interstellar comet that fits right in with our solar system
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10 vs OnePlus 7 Pro: Flagship phone compared with flagship killer
- Samsung Galaxy S10 Lite first impressions: Playing a safe game?
Astronomers use the upgraded GMRT to measure the gas mass of galaxies in the distant Universe have 346 words, post on economictimes.indiatimes.com at November 22, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.