The board of Kumho Industrial, which created the airline in 1988, chose the joint bid over two others by Aekyung Group, the cosmetics giant that owns budget airline Jeju Air, and the Korea Corporate Governance Improvement Fund (KCGI), an activist investment fund which is also the second-largest shareholder of Korean Air, the country’s largest airline.
Kumho Industrial has put its 31.05 percent stake in Asiana up for sale under pressure from creditors.
The choice was made less than a week after bids were accepted last Thursday.
“Among the three consortium that participated in the final bidding for Asiana Airlines, the HDC-Mirae Asset consortium was chosen as it was considered the most appropriate candidate to normalize Asiana Airlines’ management and secure the airline’s competitiveness over the long run,” said a Kumho Industrial official.
Selling the stake will help Kumho Industrial improve its finances, the official said, including reducing its debt, and allow it to invest in new businesses.
It was reported that the HDC Hyundai Development-Mirae Asset Daewoo consortium offered the highest bid of around 2.4 to 2.5 trillion won ($2.06 to $2.15 billion) while the other two bids were around 1.5 trillion won.
The sale also includes six affiliates of the airline including budget airlines Air Busan, which Asiana Airlines owns a 44.2 percent stake in, and Air Seoul, which it owns completely.
“If the HDC Hyundai Development consortium successfully acquires all airlines under Asiana Airlines, it is expected to take advantage and aggressively compete in the market,” said Jade Lee, service and payment analyst at Euromonitor International Korea.
“In addition, it is expected to have great synergy with the hotel business and duty free business that Hyundai Development has been already operating.”
BY LEE HO-JEONG [[email protected]]
- Hyundai-led Consortium to Take Over Asiana
- Who Could Buy Asiana?
- Ruth Davidson says Tories and Labour getting closer to Brexit deal
- HDC already has plans to change Asiana logo
- Arsenal legend David Platt part of consortium interested in buying League One side Bristol Rovers
- Labour to unveil plans to abolish prescription charges, axe Ofsted and introduce a car scrappage scheme in a bid to get drivers buying electric vehicles
- Shahid Kapoor on Mira Rajput’s debut: ‘She has all her life to figure out so many things for herself’
- 'Ultima, here we come!': NASA’s New Horizons spacecraft gets the 'all-clear' to take the closest path during its historic New Year's Day flyby of object a billion miles past Pluto
- I'm A Freelance Sports Blogger That Needs An Affordable Set Of Wheels! What Car Should I Buy?
- The countdown is on! MAFS star Jules Robinson gets emotional as she's pictured picking up her bridesmaid from Sydney Airport... weeks after dumping co-star Melissa Lucarelli from her wedding line-up