* Leader describes “deep, vast and very dangerous conspiracy” * Minister says 731 banks, 140 government sites burned * Unrest began over fuel price hike, then turned political By Babak Dehghanpisheh GENEVA, Nov 27 (Reuters) – Iran gave a glimpse on Wednesday into the scale of what may have been the biggest anti-government protests in the 40 year history of the Islamic Republic, with officials saying 200,000 people had taken part and a lawmaker saying 7,000 were arrested. Supreme Leader Grand Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, in his strongest remarks since the unrest peaked, described the two weeks of violence as the work of a “very dangerous conspiracy”, while insisting it had since been completely put down. Iran has given no official death toll for the unrest, but Amnesty International said earlier this week that it had documented the deaths of at least 143 protesters, a total Tehran has said it rejects. A figure anywhere close to that would make it the deadliest anti-government unrest at least since the authorities put down a “Green Revolution” of election protests in 2009, and probably since the 1979 Islamic Revolution itself. Full details of the unrest have been difficult to report from outside Iran, especially… Read full this story
- Vermont Lawmakers Scramble to Reach Budget Settlement
- Trump's nightmare government may have no public servants
- Detroit Should Sell Art Because Why Shouldn't It, Coastal Writer Says
- UFC's Khabib Says Conor Doesn't Deserve a Fight, But Will Still Mess Him Up
- Iran Says Detained US Resident to Be Released to Lebanon
- Iran says US sanctions ‘unacceptable’ amid Gulf tensions
- Iran Says It's Launched a Satellite That Didn't Reach Orbit
- Anti-Abortion TN Lawmaker Sees Nothing Evil in Hypothetical Child Rape Scenario
- Fox News Says Middle School Anti-Bullying Class Is 'Lesbian Role Play'
- Pharmaceutical Company Says Its New Anti-Depressant Is 'Worthless And Dumb'
Iran says 200,000 took part in anti-government demos; lawmaker says 7,000 held have 294 words, post on www.reuters.com at November 27, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.