Kim You-geun, the first deputy chief of the Blue House National Security Office, gives a briefing Friday evening. [NEWS1]Korea announced Friday evening that it will suspend its decision to withdraw from a bilateral intelligence-sharing pact with Japan, backpedaling on its earlier announcement that it will terminate the agreement due to Tokyo’s export restrictions against Seoul. Kim You-geun, the first deputy chief of the Blue House National Security Office, relayed Seoul’s decision to local reporters on Friday at 6 p.m., just six hours before the midnight deadline, by which Seoul had to determine whether or not it would follow through on its earlier decision not to renew the General Security of Military Information Agreement, or Gsomia. Kim said Seoul has also decided to tentatively halt its petition procedures against Tokyo at the World Trade Organization (WTO), which were in response to Japan’s export curbs. But the Blue House did not specify that it will renew Gsomia or scrap the WTO petitions, leaving open the possibility that it can reverse its latest decisions.A high-level Blue House official said after Kim’s briefing that Seoul can “reactivate” its earlier announcement to withdraw from Gsomia — which would mean the termination of the pact “that… Read full this story
- Trump says US shouldn't be spending money on 'war games' with South Korea
- "No reason" to spend money on U.S.-South Korea joint military exercises, White House says
- Donald Trump Wanted to Take $10 Billion Missile Defense System Out of South Korea and 'Put It in Portland'
- US Pivots Again, Renews Pressure on North Korea
- Kim Jong Un's True Plan For North Korea's Nuclear Weapons
- U.S. stops suspension of joint military exercises with South Korea
- Photos of North Korea offer rare look inside Pyongyang life
- Donald Trump Asked Military for a Plan to Strike North Korea, and Generals Were Terrified: Woodward Book
- North Korea’s New Promises on Weapons Stop Short of Denuclearization
- Mike Pompeo displeased by agreement between Koreas
Korea suspends termination of Gsomia have 334 words, post on koreajoongangdaily.joins.com at November 23, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.