MUMBAI: It’s one milestone the city can take pride in. The number of lifesaving transplants performed with cadaveric organs crossed 200 this year — an important leap in the city’s two-decade old organ donation programme that started with nine transplants in 1997. This year, 73 families have donated organs of deceased loved ones, facilitating 208 transplants. The first time the city achieved 100 cadaveric transplants in one year was in 2014, or 18 years after the programme started. Compared to that, the 200-transplants-a year milestone came within six years, thanks to increasing awareness, identifying and notifying brain deaths and allowing non-transplant centres to retrieve organs. Doctors say the growing numbers are crucial as a cadaver organ not only saves the person desperately in need of it, but also protects a healthy family member of the patient from losing an organ. In 2019, kidney donations accounted for over 50% of organs donated, while a third were livers. Lung and heart donations made up for a considerable part of the remaining pie. The year also saw pancreas and multiple bone donations. Mumbai has also contributed to over 50% of the total transplants in the state, which currently is on top of the… Read full this story
- US proposes new rules to increase organ transplants
- Father waiting for triple organ transplant hopes for Christmas gift of life
- Laura Ingraham: Nancy Pelosi seems to be rejecting impeachment 'like a bad organ transplant'
- New kidneys 40 years apart show transplant progress, hurdles
- Brain-dead man donates organs, saves multiple lives
- Dozens of life-saving organs never donated as ACT families veto loved ones' choice
- Hundreds dying because families block organ donation even when relatives are on register
- Tearful dad sees son for the first time after donating organ to save his life
- Mumbai: Brace for chilly mornings from next week
- Organ donation 'opt-out' petition led by teenager who received two kidney transplants
Mumbai clocks 200 organ transplants have 308 words, post on timesofindia.indiatimes.com at November 18, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.