Video PlayerClose BEIJING, Nov. 19 (Xinhua) — The Legislative Affairs Commission of the Standing Committee of the National People’s Congress (NPC) expressed deep concern over Hong Kong’s High Court ruling related to the Emergency Regulations Ordinance, a spokesperson said Tuesday. The Court of First Instance of the High Court of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) ruled on Monday that some provisions of the ordinance were incompatible with the Basic Law of the HKSAR and therefore were invalid. “Some NPC deputies have voiced strong dissatisfaction with this,” said Zang Tiewei, a spokesperson for the Legislative Affairs Commission of the NPC Standing Committee. “The Constitution and the Basic Law together form the constitutional basis of the special administrative region,” the spokesperson said. “Whether a law of the HKSAR is in conformity with the Basic Law of the HKSAR can only be judged and decided by the NPC Standing Committee, and no other organ has the right to judge or decide,” the spokesperson said. In accordance with Article 8 of the Basic Law of the HKSAR, the laws previously in force in Hong Kong, including the Emergency Regulations Ordinance, shall be maintained except for those that contravene the Basic Law of… Read full this story
- Trump Ignores Court Ruling That He Can't Block Twitter Critics: 'President Thinks He's Above The Law'
- 'Deep concerns' over Welsh Government's approach to Circuit of Wales
- Court ruling on civil servants could have major impact on Northern Ireland decision-making
- Despite U.S. Supreme Court Ruling, Don’t Expect California To Legalize Sports Wagering Anytime Soon
- UK Ambassador expresses concerns over Maldives court rulings
- Supreme Court ruling doesn't mean sports betting will come to Florida quickly — or at all
- Sports gambling’s next hurdle is credit cards after court ruling
- Death threat to Gov. Kate Brown shouldn't have spurred man's commitment, court rules
- Supreme Court rules Virginia school can block transgender student from men's restroom
- Court rules independent candidates for Senate ‘not unconstitutional’
NPC spokesperson expresses deep concern over HK court ruling have 328 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at November 19, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.