What was to be a vacation turned into a funeral for a couple as their six-month-old infant who was on his maiden journey from Australia to Chennai was declared dead early Thursday morning upon arrival at the Chennai International Airport.
The toddler, Hrithik and his parents Sakthi Murugan and Geetha had flown from Victoria in Australia to spend time with their family at Vengaivasal near Tambaram. The trio had a layover at Kuala Lumpur before arriving at the city airport.
“Shortly before the flight had landed at Chennai airport, the parents had fed the child. After touchdown, they had carried Hrithik over their shoulder and proceeded to collect their luggage after clearing immigration,” an official from the Meenambakkam police station told Indianexpress.com.
The officials said that while waiting for their luggage, the parents had noticed that their child was motionless and his feet had turned blue. Thinking he had fallen asleep, they tried to wake him up but in vain. “The parents later rushed their child to Apollo clinic inside the international terminal where doctors pronounced the infant dead,” said the official.
According to Murugan and Geetha, Hrithik had been active and playful throughout the flight.
The officer said that the Meenambakkam police had registered a case and sent the infant’s body to the Chromepet Government Hospital for postmortem before handing over his mortal remains to the family.
The officer added that the child’s viscera samples had been sent to the hospital lab for testing to determine the cause of death.
- Apps to Help You Avoid Airport Annoyances
- Five airport survival apps
- 'I'm lost for words': How the Government is bringing the family of a notorious dead terrorist back to Australia - but a Sri Lankan family that an entire town and 200,000 signatures on a petition want to keep are being deported
- US to head off laptop ban on international flights with revised security requirements
- The laptop is dead
- Homeland Security ban will limit large electronics on some US-bound international flights
- About 150 Delta flights in the US canceled after systems outage
- A Delta flight delayed 18 hours left people sleeping on floor
- About 150 Delta flights in the U.S. canceled after systems outage
- Hopper Flight Search App for iOS Finds Cheapest Times to Fly