The number of accidents in the city dropped by 10% between January and October 2019 to 2,348, from 2,619 during the same period in 2018, data from the state transport department revealed. However, the data showed Mumbai witnessed the most number of accidents in the state in the first 10 months of 2019. The state, meanwhile, recorded 27,363 accidents in this period, a 6.8% drop from 29,350 in 2018. Between January and October, the number of road accident fatalities in Mumbai reduced by 18% to 322, from 393 during the same period in 2018, while the number of people injured dipped 11.8% to 2,428, from 2,750 last year.Mumbai has more than 36 lakh vehicles and a 2000-km road network. This means the city has a high vehicle density, which, along with haphazard parking, illegal hawking, Metro works, slows down traffic.Regional transport officers said bumper-to-bumper traffic led to the reduction in the number of accidents, while the traffic police attributed the dip to road safety measures . “We’re focusing on a multi-pronged approach by cracking down on those who are drink driving and speeding; undertaking awareness drives; and installing crash barriers and speed breakers,” said Madhukar Pandey, joint commissioner of police… Read full this story
- Road accidents in Cuddalore drop by 6.39% in 2019
- Tamil Nadu has seen dip in number of road accidents since 2016: Transport Authority
- 10 persons, including four chilli farmers, killed in road accidents
- Couple and Their Friend from Telangana Killed in Road Accident in Texas
- Three killed in road accident near Aruppukottai
- Permit rooms driving up road accidents?
- 19 die in Kano road accident
- Road accidents kill 122 in Laos in January
- Senior citizen killed in Warje road accident, one arrested
- Death toll in central Uganda's road accident rises to 12
Road accidents in city see a 10% drop: Data have 277 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at November 17, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.