South Korea suspended a decision to end an intelligence-sharing pact with Japan on Friday, just hours before it was due to go into effect, providing the first signs of compromise after several months of feuding over trade and historical grievances.The late change of heart announced by the presidential Blue House should be greeted with relief by South Korea and Japan’s mutual ally, the United States.U.S. officials have been pressuring the neighbours to set aside their differences over history to maintain the General Security of Military Information Agreement (GSOMIA), seen as an important element of trilateral security cooperation in Asia.“This government has decided to suspend our notice of Aug. 23 on the Korea-Japan intelligence agreement on the condition the agreement can be terminated at any time,” said Kim You-geun, deputy director of South Korea’s national security office.“Japan has expressed its understanding,” Mr. Kim said in a briefing.South Korea had given Japan notice in August that it would stop sharing intelligence after Japan imposed restrictions on the export to South Korea of materials necessary for its semiconductor and display industries.Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said South Korea had made a “strategic decision” in sticking with the intelligence-sharing pact and that bilateral relations… Read full this story
- South Korea’s Moon calls Trump-Kim summit end of hostility
- Electronics exports at risk from South Korea-Japan trade tensions
- Asia Today: South Korea to require masks on transit, flights
- Asia Today: 23 new cases in South Korea, none in China
- South Korea, China, Japan to hold video meeting on coronavirus
- Could a major earthquake soon strike South Korea?
- World Cup 2018, Germany vs Korea Republic Highlights: Germany Crash Out After 0-2 Defeat To South Korea
- Global report: EU countries block hydroxychloroquine, South Korea fears new spike
- Vietnam-South Korea flights halted due to COVID-19
- South Korea's Ahn Hee-Jung on coal trade: after Paris 'everything should change'
South Korea suspends move to end intelligence pact with Japan have 320 words, post on www.thehindu.com at November 22, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.