“Our imperfections make us real and everyone connects to people and stories that are absolutely real, that they can easily relate to and are believable. People should be able to see the problems, the joys, the pain, the victories, the ambitions, the imperfections and say ‘yes we are like this, we feel the same thing and we have lived the same life’. And this is what drives me to choose my films,” Ayushmann said.
His imperfect characters in films like ‘Vicky Donor‘, ‘Dum Laga Ke Haisha‘, ‘Bareilli Ki Barfi’, ‘Shubh Mangal Saavdhan‘, ‘Bala’ and ‘AndhaDhun’ were loved by many.
“I’m on a constant lookout for imperfection because invariably they give us the best stories to tell. An imperfect man can do something incredibly heroic and that’s what the audience will love.
“Triumphing over one’s situation, one’s own self are the stories that people love to see. If you look at all my films, I have played an imperfect hero, a flawed human being who goes through his own struggles to do something out of the ordinary. These are the characters that appeal to me because such characters are genuine and fortunately the audience has also loved these on screen,” he said.
Ayushmann reveals that he finds perfection boring.
“There is an inherent charm about imperfection which is infectious. They are highly interesting, they have a distinct personality, they have a gripping journey and it’s very appealing,” he said.
“Perfection is quite passe today because we have all realised that we are imperfect and we celebrate that quite vocally. We no longer aspire to become perfect, we aspire to be better.
“We recognise that the struggle is real and we celebrate who and what we actually are. We aren’t afraid to look into our own eyes and accept ourselves in our truest form. That’s what I want to champion on screen through my work,” he added.
- Tom Coughlin isn’t ready to quit and he’d be a perfect fit for Eagles and Philadelphia
- NY Giants need Eli Manning to man up vs. Green Bay, play perfect game to halt slide and restore hope
- Still a great season for the NY Red Bulls? Concept is quite foreign
- Somehow the perfect ending to the night and Derek Jeter’s Yankee Stadium career, was his career
- Sunday Morning QB: Wes Welker would be perfect fit for slot-needy Giants if not for health concern
- New England tight end Rob Gronkowski stars in Tom Brady's passing attack to spark Patriots run to AFC Championship
- Win over Steelers shows NY Jets not quitting on Rex Ryan
- The Italian cities of Florence and Verona make the perfect trip for those looking for artistic inspiration
- Hastings passes test at Blind Brook with ease
- CC Sabathia's perfect game broken up after rain delay at Yankee Stadium, Bombers beat Mariners