BEIJING, Dec. 5 (Xinhua) — Former Beijing Ducks’ player Ji Zhe, three-time winner of the Chinese Basketball Association (CBA) league, died of lung cancer early on Thursday.
“2:14 a.m. on December 5, 2019, after fighting against lung cancer for over a year, Ji Zhe left us,” the Beijing Ducks said in a statement on social platform.
Ji was diagnosed with the disease last August, before going to the United States for treatment.
“Ji has gone. He will love basketball as always, like he’s never gone. His No. 51 jersey will stay here forever,” read the statement.
Ji joined the Beijing Ducks in 2007. The 2.02m-tall power forward was regarded as a good rim protector, contributing to the team on both ends with his jumpers, three-pointers and rebounds, also impressing fans with his passion on the court.
He claimed the CBA championship title in 2012, 2014 and 2015 along with Stephon Marbury, current head coach of the Beijing Royal Fighters.
“This moment I feel saddened for your family members who love you. My bro, my teammate, my companion, my captain, I hope everything is smooth in the other world. I pray that your family members can bear the pain of loss, and hope they can stand in braveness. They can feel the energy by people who love you everywhere in the world. R.I.P,” Marbury wrote on social platform.
“Hopefully basketball will accompany you in the heaven! R.I.P,” wrote Yi Jianlian, the CBA’s all-time leading scorer from the Guangdong Southeast Tigers.
- Great-nephew of NHS founder Nye Bevan died from lung cancer after a series of blunders at two hospitals, inquest hears
- Game critic TotalBiscuit dies at age 33
- In-game tributes paid to "amazing" Minecraft server owner who died of cancer
- Minecraft players write touching tributes on in-game signs for "amazing" server owner who died of cancer
- Minecraft players build touching tribute to server owner who died of cancer
- Diablo III Kanai's Cube doubles as tribute to Blizzard artist who died of cancer
- British hiker, 54, dies while climbing Everest on 'the adventure of a lifetime' shortly after his wife sent him a text saying 'be careful'
- Tributes paid to Ben Daglish, 1980s video game music legend who has died age 52
- Playing That Dragon, Cancer is an intensely emotional experience
- You are cancer in game that seeks to understand a killer