Chidambaram was released on Wednesday evening (8 p.m.) from the Tihar jail after 106 days of “pre-trial incarceration”, following the grant of bail by the Supreme Court.
Soon after stepping out of the jail, received by his son and Lok Sabha member Karti Chidambaram and welcomed by slogan-shouting party workers, Chidambaram told the waiting media, “In the 106 days of pre-trail incarceration not a single charge was framed against me.”
“I will speak all about that tomorrow (Thursday),” he said before getting into the waiting vehicle that drove straight to party interim chief Sonia Gandhi’s residence at 10, Jan Path.
Speaking to reporters after meeting Gandhi, Chidambaram said, “I am happy that Supreme Court has passed an order granting bail and I am happy that I have stepped out and breathing the air of freedom after 106 days.”
After an around 20-minute meeting, he left for his Jor Bagh house, the same residence from where he was arrested more than three months back, and had a 30-minute meeting with Gandhi’s close confidante Ahmed Patel.
Hundreds of Congress activists welcomed the former Finance Minister, upon his release, and raised slogans in his favour. Earlier, showing his reluctance to speak to the media outside the jail, Chidambaram said, “I can’t comment on the case. I am going to obey the Supreme Court order.”Meanwhile, Several Congress workers had gathered outside his residence to welcome him. Some Congress activists were also spotted playing guitar and singing ‘Nyay do, nyay do’ (Deliver justice) outside his residence.
- Kristen Stewart rocks edgy tweed waistcoat and baseball cap for Seberg press conference at Zurich Film Festival
- It's the Incredible Sulk! Twitter mocks Boris Johnson for cancelling EU press conference amid protests
- Trump airs Russia probe grievances in joint press conference with Norway's prime minister — live updates
- Kapil Sharma’s New Show Press Conference Gets Cancelled: Did Kapil Cancel It Due To Sunil?
- So, uh, anyone else just watch Trump’s batshit press conference?
- Donald Trump calls for bipartisanship, attacks journalists in wild press conference
- To attend Parliament, Piyush Goyal cancels China visit
- BJP doesn't have numbers to form govt, says Devendra Fadnavis; key point from his press conference
- P Chidambaram not a criminal like 'Ranga, Billa' to be denied bail, Sibal tells SC in INX Media case
- 2019 LS polls: Man hurls shoe at BJP MP GVL Narasimha Rao during press conference at party headquarters