Ortiz (21 wins, 12 losses) defeated former professional wrestler Alberto Del Rio by rear naked choke in the first round, and was praised by the commander in chief for his performance, FOX News reports.
“Congratulations to @TitoOrtiz on tonight’s huge WIN, a Great American Patriot!” Trump tweeted.
Ortiz has been a vocal advocate for Trump for years, with the two having a history that dates back to the early 2000s. The 44-year-old spoke to FOX Business last week and discussed Latino support for Trump, and was even decked out in a “Trump 2020” T-shirt after his recent win.
— Tito Ortiz (@titoortiz) December 8, 2019
In 2001, Trump allowed a then-fledgling UFC to hold its UFC 33: Battle on the Boardwalk event at his Trump Taj Mahal in Atlantic City, New Jersey. At the time, the promotion was banned from most cable pay-per-view providers and was prohibited from holding events at a number of American states and venues.
Ortiz headlined that card, winning by knockout after slamming his opponent, the late Evan Tanner, into the canvas just 30 seconds into the first round.
Several years later, Trump hired Ortiz to be a part of his now-defunct Affliction MMA broadcast team for the Affliction: Day of Reckoning promotion back in January 2009.
The UFC Hall of Famer has since returned the favour, showing his support for Trump with “Make America Great” gear and revealing that many other Latinos support Donald Trump, “but are afraid to say it”.
“I walk with a ‘Make America Great Again’ hat — Latinos for Trump,” Ortiz said during last week’s appearance on FOX.
“It’s getting bigger and bigger the more they get educated on what the truth is about this,” he said of Latino support for Trump.
“And I think the Democratic Party is showing their side of it, of the criminals they are and the things that they’re being caught for, and I hope Trump continues to focus on that and the people will be able to see it more and more each and every day.”
This story first appeared on Fox News and was reproduced with permission
- Donald Trump Praises Jim Brown, We're Helping Black People!
- Donald Trump Praises Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas
- God as Donald Trump: Trying to Make Sense of Praise and Worship (part 6)
- Trump Praises NASCAR Fans for Standing for National Anthem, Area Blogger Praises Herself for Not Drinking Yet Today
- Will the Darkness of Donald Trump Outshine the Light of Christians?
- Donald Trump’s Uniquely Dangerous Unilateralism
- Donald Trump Holding Off On Auto Tariffs
- GM's Slammed Again By Donald Trump Who Says EVs "Won't Work"
- Is the Holy Spirit Orange? Jim Bakker and Donald Trump
- This Is How President Donald Trump's Motorcade Rolls