Hong Kong shares climbed to a five-month high on Monday — the last full trading day of the year — as investors remained optimistic about the outcome of the Sino-US trade talks, as well as monetary easing on the Chinese mainland. The benchmark Hang Seng Index surged 0.33 percent, or 93.27 points, to end the day at 28,319.39 after having dipped to as low as 28,165 in morning trading. Market turnover reached HK$76.76 billion ($9.86 billion) on the Main Board. The Hang Seng China Enterprises (H-share) Index closed up 30.76 points, or 0.27 percent, at 11,225.31. Investors were heartened by the progress in the trade negotiations between the world’s two largest economies as they await the signing of the first phase of a trade deal agreed on by both sides earlier this month. The local stock market also received a boost from the People’s Bank of China’s directive to lenders to use a new market-based mechanism to set interest rates. According to the PBOC, the central bank will use the loan prime rate (LPR) to replace the old loan-pricing system as a new benchmark for pricing existing floating-rate loans. Analysts believe the move could help lower borrowing costs for businesses… Read full this story
- Brexit compromise plan could leave Britain stuck in 'rolling trade talks with Brussels forever', negotiators fear
- Gold price hits record high on new fears for the economy
- Gold hits fresh high of ₹51,946, rises by ₹475 per gram
- Over 30 stocks hit 52-week high in July, gain over 100% in 2020; should you chase them?
- After The Bell: Market @over 4-month high! Here’s what investors should do on Friday
- European stocks hit over four-month highs after EU recovery fund sealed
- Britain vows to drive hard bargain in US trade talks
- Defensives drag down European shares from four-month highs
- Brussels could exploit insider knowledge of UK in Brexit trade talks, former top negotiator says
- GLOBAL MARKETS-Gold hits record high as U.S.-China ties worsen, Asia stocks helped by tech
HK stocks hit 5-month high on trade talks hopes have 326 words, post on www.chinadaily.com.cn at December 31, 2019. This is cached page on Asean Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.