HYDERABAD: In a major development, all the four accused in the gangrape and murder of a government veterinarian in Hyderabad were killed in a police encounter at Shadnagar in the wee hours of Friday. According to reports, the four accused – Mohammad Areef, Jollu Shiva, Jollu Naveen and Chintakunta Chennakeshavulu – had been taken to the spot for recreation of the crime scene when they tried to escape. When the police asked them to surrender, they started pelting stones, forcing the policemen to open fire in self-defence during which they were killed.
Confirming the development, Telangana Police said, ” All four people accused in the rape and murder of woman veterinarian in Telangana have been killed in an encounter with the police.”
They were gunned down at the same spot where the accused had dumped the victim`s body and set it afire on the night of November 27 after the gang-rape near Shamshabad on the outskirts of Hyderabad.
Minutes after the encounter, senior police officials arrived at the site to take stock of the situation.
Reacting to the development, the victim’s father said, ”my daughter got justice today.” The doctor’s sister said, ”I want to thank the Telangana Police, Telangana government and the media for their support to us.”
Meanwhile, Swati Maliwal, the DCW chairperson who is on a hunger strike demanding justice for the victim, said, ”What will the police do if rapists try to escape?
The Hyderabad gangrape and murder case had triggered a nationwide protest and demand for capital punishment for the accused in such heinous crimes. The 26-year-old veterinary doctor was smothered, gang-raped and then burnt by four men and her charred body was found the next day on November 28 under a culvert on the Hyderabad-Bengaluru national highway.
According to the Cyberabad Police, the four accused had punctured the rear wheel of her scooter, offered to help her, dragged her to a secluded spot close to a toll plaza and raped her. It said the victim died due to suffocation and the accused later set her body on fire.
The Cyberabad Police had arrested the four accused on November 29 in connection with their involvement in the rape and murder case.
All the four accused, who worked as drivers and cleaners, were sent to judicial custody for 14 days by a local court.
- Hyderabad rape and murder case: NCW accuses Cyberabad cops of delay in response
- Hyderabad rape and murder case: Doctors, judge made to come to police station amid protests
- Hyderabad rape and murder case: People express outrage over the ghastly attack
- Telangana doctor rape-murder case: Police plan to seek custody of 4 accused
- Hyderabad veterinary doctor gangrape-murder: All four accused to be produced in court today
- What happened in Hyderabad is absolutely shameful: Virat Kohli on Telangana doctor rape-murder case
- All 4 Accused In Hyderabad Veterinarian Rape, Murder Case Sent To Judicial Custody For 14 Days
- Telangana bar association denies legal support to accused in Hyderabad veterinary doctor rape-murder
- Unfortunate she called her sister and not police: Telangana minister's shocker on Hyderabad veterinary doctor rape-murder
- IPC, CrPC will be amended for speedy conviction in heinous rape-murder cases: MoS Home Kishan Reddy